Thursday, September 16, 2010

Dripped Paint Skull

Jennifer Hall "did this painting by taping out a skull and then turning it upside down and dripping paint down the canvas. It took about a week."




I like the dripped paint technique. It reminds me a lot of Jackson Pollock and Abstract Expressionism. I've wanted to try this painting style for a while. I think it would be very therapeutic to drizzle and splatter paint freely on a canvas. I remember watching the Elvis Presley movie "Easy Come, Easy Go" and there was a scene where people were making abstract paintings with their bodies. It's like advanced finger painting. Also, there is a scene in "The Princess Diaries" where the characters Mia and her mom, Helen throw darts at paint filled balloons. That looks like messy fun. I'm sure you had fun making this painting. I like the idea of taping out the skull before painting. I might paint one in one color palette, tape out the skull and then paint over that in another color palette. When the tape is removed, it would be like an optical illusion of sorts.

2 comments:

Steffie P. IA said...

this does sound like a fun painting technique. i especially like the patterns produced under the taped area. thanks for sharing!

Jennifer said...

Thank you so much! It was a lot of fun. I didn't really know what I was doing till I started but I think it came out pretty cool. ;-) You've made my day!