Thursday, September 23, 2010

Dia de la Abby: #17 - Tessellation Skull Scarf

Inspired by M. C. Escher's tessellations and Noah's 32: Interlocking Skull, I decided to crochet a tessellation skull scarf.

This one is taking a long time to make. Unlike my other filet crochet scarfs, it has a lot of closed mesh, which increases the completion time substantially. I have no clue how long it will take me to finish, but I still wanted to share it.

I took a close up photo and turned it, so the pattern would be easier to see. If you look at the pattern in the tutorial, you can also easily see the skulls.


I have crocheted many kinds of scarfs. Last year, I crocheted a grey skull scarf for Fall. I love using different stitches to create different patterns and shapes. This time I used filet crochet, which I have found to be great for creating a clear image. It's also a style that I can use a grid to make a pattern for, which makes the creating process start easy. I chose a bright turquoise color for this scarf. The color choice was based on what color scarf I didn't have yet and also, if I had two matching skeins of yarn. I was going to do a dark purple, but I didn't have enough, so turquoise was chosen. Since my clothing tends to be on the dark side, a bright pop of color suits me well. For this project, I made a tutorial with crochet instructions and a pattern. There is also a pattern for the grey skull scarf, with that same tutorial...2 for 1!



Every week in the 4.0 year, I will be post my own Dia de la Abby posts as well as a tutorial with instructions on how I made my piece. Hopefully you feel inspired by my posts just as I was by Noah's Skull-A-Day 1.0 daily project. Need more of me than just a weekly dose, follow me on Twitter and/or Facebook.

No comments: