Friday, July 23, 2010

[Flashback Friday] 168. (Escape To) Skull Mountain

Welcome to another addition of Flashback Friday.** This year the guest editors, Azurafae, Tatman, and myself, Citizen Agent, are taking turns counting down our personal favorite 17 skulls from the Original 365.25 Year. So please join us as we visit the archives and add our additional commentary on some of the original pieces.

#11: 168. (Escape To) Skull Mountain


Sherpa C says:

Looks like today I am carrying some more baggage from last year. When I first saw this piece, I was fooled into thinking that this was a photoshop job of a real mountain. After enlarging the picture I then realized what an extraordinary piece this was. If I remember correctly each skull Noah did back in 1.0 was actually started and completed in the same day. The Skullmaster must have rose with the sun in order to finish this while there was still daylight to take the picture. To this day I am still curious about the size of the piece, I know the dimensions, but I just can't imagine what it would look like say next to a gallon of milk. To this day, I still really enjoy the mirror effect for the water, how can something so smooth cause such a ripple effect.

In thinking about this piece today I was reminded of the early 20th century climber, George Mallory, who’s body was recover 75 years later on Mount Everest. This piece would make a fitting tribute to all those who push the limits of their human existence for eternal recognition.

**Flashback Friday was a weekly countdown of the fan selected top 52 skulls of Skull-A-Day 1.0. Each week during year 3.0 The Skullmaster posted the original skull along with some additional commentary in order from lowest to highest rated, with the #1 skull appearing in the last week of year 3.0, all 52 can be found here.

No comments: