Friday, June 12, 2009

[Flashback Friday] 250. Crosskull Puzzle

Flashback Friday is a weekly countdown of the fan selected top 52 skulls of Skull-A-Day 1.o. Each week I'll be posting an original skull along with some additional commentary in order from lowest to highest rated, with the #1 skull appearing in the last week of year 3 of the project...

#51: 250. Crosskull Puzzle

I was inspired by the fantastic documentary Wordplay to make this functional crossword puzzle. The film included a sequence on building one from scratch, so I used that as my starting point. It was an incredibly difficult thing to do, having never made one before and it took the better part of a day. At the same time, it was incredibly satisfying making everything fit (even if I did have to use some pretty obscure words). I had a contest for people to solve it and several serious crossword puzzlers gave me some nice compliments on it.

If you want to try this one out yourself you can download a print ready PDF HERE. You can also cheat and check your answers against the solution HERE.

[UPDATE] This skull has now been added to the Facebook Send-A-Skull application!

2 comments:

Tatman said...

I wonder if anyone new will attempt the crosskull. I know I had fun doing it.

Citizen Agent said...

Journey C said:

Wheel in the sky keep on turnin'... and I may have a plan for this one.

I can't believe I missed commenting on the first time this was posted. I like the new insights into this the original. I guess you could also remove the numbers and call this one 250a. 15 bit skull.