Wednesday, April 16, 2008

318. Crayon Skull


Arranged Grated Crayons, before and after melting (approx. 7.5in x 7.5in [19cm x 19cm]). Definitely a flashback to early childhood here. For the life of me I can't remember who suggested this one, so thanks to whoever you are! If you're wondering, I grated the crayons with a cheese grater and placed them on a piece of wax paper; after photographing I put a second piece of wax paper on top and piece of plain paper and then ironed briefly on the lowest setting; finally I peeled back the top layer of wax paper to reveal the results. This is the second of two attempts. I didn't photograph the first before melting it too much and ended up with a blurry blob that looked nothing like a skull.

5 comments:

Tatman said...

How cool and original. Like my 2 1/2 yr. old would say, "Oh, crayon!"

lisa said...

I loved doing that in grade school. we always did it in the fall and added leaves to our shavings.

Citizen Agent said...

MacArthur C said:

Skull-a-Day is melting in the dark
All the sweet, black wax flowing down...
Someone left the skull out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
'cause it took so long to make it
And I'll never have that inspiration again
Oh, no!

j said...

LOVE this one!
Definitely takes me back!
I can almost smell the crayons;
How fun!

Charlie said...

My favorite crayon flavor is green.